Monday, February 14, 2011

Tiber, Soccer, etc.

I'm going to quickly wrap up what I've done over the remainder of last week. Then I'll be caught up on everything and will be ready to blog about our trip to Gabii tomorrow.



On Thursday, we went to the Forum Boarium (between the Tiber, Capitoline, and Palatine). There, we saw a number of sites and temples, including a round temple (to Hercules?) and a temple to Portunus. I, unfortunately, forgot my camera, so I don't have any lovely pictures. If you're really interested in seeing pictures, let me know, and I can try to get some from other people. We also visited Tiber Island and heard a student presentation on the role of the island and its connection to Asclepius, the god of healing. After that trip and an afternoon Italian class, I was done with classes for the week!



On Saturday, a number of us students went to go see a soccer game between Roma and Napoli. But first, as all good sports fans should, we had a barbeque. We bought hamburgers, hot dogs, and vegetables and had a nice meal in the Centro's garden. It was quite an experience seeing Franco (the director) use a ping pong paddle to shovel and fan the coals. In the end we had a wonderful meal (Franco Barbeque), and, after getting our faces painted, we were off to the game!
Some Centristi with their war paint.
The players were far away, but fun to watch. Roma is red, and Napoli is blue.
The Roma mascot (a wolf) leading cheers. (e.g. "Non siamo Napoli!" or "We are not Napoli!")
I bought a scarf and jersey. Here, I am holding a little wolf stuffed animal that Franco let us bring.
But alas! Rome lost by 2 points. Although I had no stake in the game, having cheered for Roma, I could not help but feel slightly dejected. Such is the nature of sports. Once you get your mind set on a particular outcome, any alternative leaves you unsatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment